Whenever I traveled with my family I would lose focus and neglect to maintain my normal healthy habits. I put everybody’s needs first and mine last. I want traveling to be successful and when I am off, it effects the whole family.
Our family recently went to Disney World in our RV and camped for a week. I decided before we left that I was going to be awake, aware and ready for this trip.
Lack of self-care was NOT going to be the missing ingredient.
Follow these tips to maintain healthy habits while traveling:
- Wake up early and enjoy a few quiet minutes to yourself. (good time for having gratitude and getting focused for the day)
- Wash your face. Make sure to take the soap you love. It is a good time to inhale and wake up with a fresh start. (It’s the little things)
- Exercise. Whether its squats, sit ups, jumping rope or running, all you need to do is get your heart rate up. It may not be your regular workout, but it is better than nothing! (Suggest that your family do a fun challenge for the week of a certain amount of sit ups and push-ups daily that you all agree on)
- Pack healthy food and water. Healthy foods that travel well include carrots, nuts and apples. I made avocado sandwiches with tofu and cucumber. (They were delicious)
- Cook your meals. If you do go out, look for the healthiest plate the restaurant has to offer. Restaurants are getting better about having healthy options.
- Relax in the evening and get ready for the next day by preparing for what is up and coming.
- Don’t forget to recap all your favorite parts of the day and be grateful! My family plays a game called Rose, Thorn and Bud. You go around and each family member shares their favorite part of the day (Rose), the worst part of the day (Thorn) and what you are looking forward to (Bud). It is a great way to connect with your family.
Remind yourself to be present, breath and remember where you are and what you are doing. Smile, be grateful and maintain your healthy habits.
Be your own friend, be gentle with yourself and remember, everyone is better when YOU are good. It takes work and effort to have a successful family trip! It takes practice.
Let me know how your next trip goes with your family and give me feedback on what works best for you and how you maintain your healthy habits when traveling.